Before I go on about the how surprisingly creamy this recipe is… I invite you to say the title out loud. It’s just so satisfying. Thanks to @oliviarosepeltier over on instagram for naming this dish:) These Creamy Carrot Shroomy Noods are just that – creamyyyy!! It was a surprise to me, so maybe it will surprise you. Make it to find out.
Not only is this sauce perfect for that springtime ‘get ready for the bikini’ freak out (veggie heavy, low calorie, nutrient dense, high fibre)… but it actually brings that creamy pasta vibe, and an amazing colour.
Just steam some veggies. Sauté some things. Blend it up. Cook that pasta.
This sauce could be used for any kinda of saucy need.
A dip on a platter, a saucy addition to your burrito, a healthy nachos dish… or simply warmed up and eaten with a spoon!!
It’s a throw together kinda meal when you only have a few things to choose from. But remember, just add nooch + miso paste, and anything will taste YUM.
Creamy Carrot Shroomy NoodsCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Easy
3 cups carrots, roughly chopped
3/4 cup corn, frozen
3/4 cup green peas, frozen
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
2 tsp sage
2 tsp thyme
1 cup mushrooms (fresh cremini or dried oyster or lobster mushrooms, soaked for 15 minutes in water), chopped
1/8 cup miso paste
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 cup tahini
Veggie bouillon cube
400g brown rice or quinoa noodles
Fresh sage or basil for garnish
Water to blend (start with 3/4 cup)
- Bring steamer water to a boil, and place steamer on top with carrots, peas and corn. Steam for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat another pan up to medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add 1 tbsp of water to de-glaze the pan. Add garlic, sage, thyme and mushrooms. Let sauté on low for 5 more minutes
- Boil water for pasta (you could use the same pot as the steamer – just throw the steamed veggies into your blender) and fill the steamer pot with water. Cook pasta according to directions.
- Add all steamed veggies to a blender with the miso, nutritional yeast, tahini, boullion cube and 1/2 cup-3/4 cup water. Blend until silky smooth (add more water by the tablespoon if needed).
- Pour the creamy carrot sauce into the pan with the onions and mushrooms, mix well.
- Strain the pasta once it’s done cooking, and add the noodles to the pan with the sauce. Mix well.
- Serve with a garnish of sage or basil, and this Smokey Vegan Parm!