This smokey vegan parmesan goes well with anything, and I mean ANYTHING savoury.
It has to be in the fridge at all times, ready to get it’s sprinkle on.
There’s nothing like a little smoky saltiness to add pizzazz to any meal.
Your next pasta, salad, tofu scramble, sandwich or wrap will welcome this parm with open arms.
The one thing people seem to miss most during the transition to plant-based eating… CHEESE, because it’s physically addicting. Casomorphins in dairy create an opioid effect to keep the calf coming back for more from her cow Mama. When milk is made into cheese for human consumption (it takes 10 lbs of milk to create just 1 lb of cheese), the casomorphins are concentrated to high levels and create a strong opioid effect, that keep us coming back for more. Once you’re separated from the addiction for a bit, you’ll be over and and see cheese for what it really is… Check out this post for more on that.
It’s becoming easier and easier with all of the amazing vegan cheese companies coming out with innovative, melty, flavourful, creamy, cheeses! And this recipe gives a cheesiness to any recipe.
When it comes to parm, I think VioLife makes the best store bought vegan version. But, when you don’t have any of that kicking around, you can resort to this smokey vegan parmesan recipe!
The smokiness adds a deep deliciousness to your typical parmesan flava flave.
- Cashews provide you with 100% of your copper needs! Copper helps with the reactions needed for the metabolism of iron, energy production, and neurotransmission. They’re also packed with vitamins E for healthy skin and bones!
- Paprika is ground up red pepper! It’s packed with antioxidants, and is very anti-inflammatory.
- Sunflower seeds are also an amazing source of copper and vitamin E, as well as B1. Vitamin B1 helps the breakdown of fats and protein, and vastly improves the cardiovascular functioning of the body.
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- Blend all ingredients in a mini food processor, blender or spice grinder until you reach the consistency of parm! You shouldn't need more than 30 seconds.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
** This goes great with Simple Green Curry, Butternut Mac n’ Peas, Whole Roasted Cauli, Curried Collard Greens, Mashed Potato Butternut Swirl, and the Green Machine Curried Zucchini Hummus.
Sign up to my emails for weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants