Dates glorious dates. Melt in your mouth. Chewy. Sweet.
Dates are amazing for well…. anything really. Buy them by the box, and make sure they’re as juicy and fresh as possible. These little morsels are taken everywhere. In the car, on camping trips, in my camel back, on the plane… you name it.
Packed with fibre, minerals and vitamins, dates are not to be afraid of. They’re a whole food, unrefined and easily digested for amazing, clean burning energy. The perfect snack on the go. If you love caramel apples, take a bite of an apple with your date and call it a day. Seriously. Take them everywhere with you and you will be a happy camper.
They are delicious as they are. But sometimes it’s nice to introduce them to a few other flavour buddies.
Hemp seeds add a great hit of flavour and essential fatty acids, oats create a cookie-like taste, and for the twist, quinoa puffs round out this delish ball with a surprising crunch and a complete protein (not that we have to be worried about protein, because it literally is naturally in every single whole, plant food).
All you need is a food processor and a bit of a shimmy of the wrist to create these melt in your mouth hits of nutrition.
~Dates are chalk full of fibre, magnesium, and selenium. Plus they are stars when it comes to smooth digestion, nutrient-density, and improving the gut flora. This is all beneficial for weight loss, satiety, and clean burning energy.
~Hemp seeds are a great balance of 3:1 omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids. In the Standard American Diet, there is WAY too much omega 6 fatty acids being consumed, and not enough omega 3. SO, hemp seeds are a perfect way to ensure you’re getting enough omega 3s in your life. This will help ward off depression, Alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis, blood fat, asthma, and ADHD. Plus it’s one of the best options for plant-based protein.
~Coconut is packed with vitamin E, polyphenols, and vitamin A, which all work together to help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.
Makes: 30 balls
Time: 10 minutes
- 20 Medjool dates, pits removed
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup Daily Greens Powder (broccoli sprouts, moringa, spinach, barley grass and chlorella)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Process oats to a flour in food processor, then blend in Daily Greens powder
- Add dates to flour and process for 10 seconds
- Add hemp seeds, quinoa puffs and vanilla to the mix and process until a ball forms
- Spread coconut on a plate
- Shape date mixture into small balls with wet hands and drop them onto the plate (a few at a time). Shake the plate so the balls get coated with coconut shreds.
- Once the balls are all shaped and coated, store them in the fridge so they’re ready for snacking!
- If youre having trouble keeping the mixture together, add 1-2 tsp of water to the mix then try molding again.
These keep their shape and travel like heroes!
So bring them on hikes, bike rides, camping trips, you name it.