CHILI SEASON (can I get a whooooop whoop?)
I’m going to make this post short, to the point, nutritious, and delicious, just like this simple one pot vegan chili (aka dinner in 30 minutes).
All you need is a pot, some cans from the pantry, and some of your usual suspects from the veggie kingdom.
If you want to take it up to the next level, top it off with this 5 ingredient vegan sour cream or smokey vegan parm, and of course a side of rustic sour dough (our go-to is always a fresh loaf from Whistler’s vegan bakery Ed’s Bred).
This recipe makes a lot. Freeze it or just keep it in the fridge to eat it over the next week on top of quinoa, in wraps, sloppy joe style…. you name it.
Gotta love that chili versatility action.
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, chopped (white, cremini, portobello, your choice)
- 3 sticks of celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp veggie boullion powder (or 1 cube)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano spice
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 jar tomato sauce (HACK: you can use pasta sauce! I used this one)
- 1 can each: kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas (or any other beans you have), rinse first
- 1 can of corn
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- Oil-free sauté the onions and mushrooms (heat pan to medium, add onions and mushrooms, let brown for a few minutes, add a bit of water to de-glaze the bottom of the pan, let sauté another minute or so)
- Add celery, carrots, garlic, veggie boullion, cumin, chili powder and oregano with a ¼ cup of water. Mix together and let sauté 3-5 minutes
- Add sweet potato, beans, corn, tomato sauce and stir.
- Add enough water until it just covers everything.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli for the last 5 minutes.
- Serve it up with cashew sour cream, green onion and your fave sourdough (I'm looking at you Ed's Bred.
Making this? Tag @hookedonplants
Need a guide towards a plant-based lifestyle? Try the 80/20 Plants Program
Check out my e-book (your new vegan handbook) AKA …all you need for a #PlantsForAWeek mini challenge.
For more inspiration and info on eating plant-based, sign up to my emails for bi-weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants!