It’s not all about carrots and celery (all though… dip those in this and you are winning).
This creamy, easy recipe is living proof that ‘vegan comfort food’ is NOT an oxymoron.
With just 5 ingredients and a blender you will have yourself a decadent, tangy, sour cream-like sauce for your tacos, stuffed taters, lunch wraps, to drizzle on roasted veggies, and… and… and…
You should probably have a jar of this in your fridge at all times. It makes life better.
Sauces are the spice of this plant-based life. So get a few recipes in your repertoire and keep stocking that fridge of yours with your faves!
- Avoiding dairy (in the form of sour cream, cheese, milk, ice cream, whey, butter) means your avoiding IGF-1, hormones (naturally occuring and sythetic), antibiotics (in some cases), carcinogenic casein, addictive casomorphins (opiate-like substances formed by consuming dairy, that leave you craving more), steroids, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, veterinary medications, synthetic preservatives, additives, cholesterol, saturated fat and white blood cells (aka pus).
- Cashews are packed with vitamins B6, E, and K, minerals like copper, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, iron, and the antioxidant, selenium. The magnesium in these kidney-shaped nuts helps regulate calcium and balance your muscles and nerves. The monounsaturated fats in cashews are great for your heart health and blood sugar regulation.
- Lemon helps to create an alkaline environment in your body. If you’re alkaline, and not acidic, your chance of disease, sickness and cancer is extremely low!
Creamy Cashew Sour Cream
Time: 5 minutes + 2-8 hours soaking time
Serves: Small mason jar full
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 8 hours, then strained (or Quick Soak: boil water, pour over cashews, let sit 2 hours)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water (or unflavoured, unsweetened almond milk)
- **optional, chopped chives for topping
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender or food processor (works best with the smallest container attachment)
- And done! Top with chives 🙂
What else happened this week?
We paddled a river, hiked 8 hours, slept on top of a mountain, and round mountain bikes.
All in between eating delicious plant-based meals 😉
For more of this, follow my daily adventures on instagram: @hookedonplants and @juliamurrayski