Time to get saucy! Carrot Potato Cheese Sauce-style.
This week is all about creating that decadent flavour and texture, amping up the nutrients, and ditching the high fat, high calorie ways of those usual culprits in your typical creamy or mac n’ cheese pasta sauce (I’m lookin’ at you butter, cheese and heavy cream).
This sauce is so healthy, that there’s no shame in drinking it from the blender.
Actually, it’s highly encouraged.
When you’re just dying for that creamy pasta experience…but you don’t want to dose yourself with a big ol’ bowl of heavy cream sauce, this is the pasta sauce for you.
Carrots and taters to the rescue.
- Pasta noodles of choice (around 450g)
- 1 large head of broccoli florets, chopped (save stalks for your next hummus plate as dippers!)
- 1 package vegan sausage (I used Field Roast from Spud. You can use code: 'CRVAN-MURJUB for 20$ off your first order)
- Smokey Vegan Parmesan
Carrot Potato Cheese Sauce:
- 3 medium-sized russet potatoes, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup miso paste
- ⅛ cup dijon
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup unsweetened, unflavoured soy milk
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Steam potatoes and carrots for 10-15 minutes (until you can poke a fork through them)
- Add all the sauce ingredients to your blender, including the carrots and potatoes
- Bring your pasta pot to a boil.
- Place broccoli in the steamer (add more water if needed), and steam for 5 minutes.
- Back to the blender: blend sauce ingredients until smooth (you may need to use a tamper to help in the beginning, but it should blend on its own. Let it blend for a couple of minutes for optimal creaminess)
- Cook pasta of choice 1 minute less than what directions say.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan to medium, add 1 tsp of oil (avocado is best), then the vegan sausage. Cook for 5 minutes, flipping around every minute or so.
- *OPTION: to use 1 less pan, wait until the pasta is finished, and add the sausage to the bottom of the pasta pot while the pasta sits in sink in the strainer*
- Strain, pasta, then put back into the pot with the broccoli and sausage.
- Add the sauce to the pot and mix until each pasta noodle is super creamy delicious!
- Whip up some Smokey Vegan Parm to sprinkle on top!
Tag @hookedonplants if you make this! I love seeing your creations.
For more inspiration and info on eating plant-based, sign up to my emails for weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants!
This week’s email is all about Colon Cancer Awareness month, and what doc’s to follow on instagram for the month of info!