A week night dinner saviour!
This pasta is super delish, and takes no time.
The creaminess? Hello cashews.
The simple-ness? Hello blender.
Pretend you’re a top chef for a minute with out actually having the credentials.
The biggest bonus of it all? The creaminess and decadent mouth feel we all crave… doesn’t have to come from the cow!
As for the vegan chick’n; it can be taken out completely, or replaced with any other kind of vegan meat you like. I’m thinking cauliflower ground round would be delish in here from Big Mountain Foods, or Gusta sausages, or Very Good Butcher’s bangers, or Field Roast sausages, or a little more indulgent Gardein or Yves ground round. Make this multiple times, and switch it up every time!
Why not add a side of steak? Cauliflower steak that is… Just douse a thick slice of cauliflower in your fave sauce (used Naked Coconut Teriyaki for this one), and sear them on the BBQ for 4-5 minutes a side!
Don’t forget to whip up some ridiculously easy vegan parm.
Simple Creamy Tomato Pasta with Chick’n | Vegan + Oil-freeCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
- Creamy Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup cashews (soaked over night or a couple hours for the most creaminess)
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil (or 2 sprigs fresh basil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper (optional)
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- Pasta Fixin’s:
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 mushrooms of choice, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
Meatiness: pre-cooked brown lentils or vegan chicken or ground round (Sweet Earth seitan strips, Very Good Butchers bangers, Gusta sausage, Field Roast weiners, Gardein chicken, Yves Veggie Cuisine Ground, Big Mountain Foods Ground
2 handfuls kale or spinach, chopped
300g whole grain pasta of choice (choose one with a couple of ingredients only… like brown rice or quinoa or chickpeas and water)
- Turn pan to medium heat, add onions and let brown. Add a splash of water to de-glaze the pan. Then add in the pepper, mushrooms and garlic. Let sauté 5 minutes (add a bit of water if it sticks)
- Boil water for your pasta
- Add the ‘meat’ of choice to the pan. Let brown and heat up for 5-10 minutes while stirring periodically
- Cook pasta according to directions
- Meanwhile, make the creamy tomato sauce: Add all pasta sauce ingredients to the blender and whizzzz until smooth
- Add the sauce to the veggie and ‘meat’ pan, stir to combine
- Strain your pasta, then add that to the loaded pan too. Give it a good stir
- Blend up some 3 minute cashew parmesan, then serve up your dish with some basil leaves, parm, and maybe even some garlic bread (toast with vegan butter and garlic powder = easiest garlic bread ever).