It’s Spring time.
The birds are chirpin’, the days are longer, the cleanses are happening and the bikinis are coming out of the closet.
If you’re looking for a light, yet satisfying dinner, you have come to the right place. Load up on these veggies and give yourself a pat on the back.
This dish is a mega nutrient boost all wrapped up in a healthy, satisfying, creamy dressing.
Eat as much as you can of these goods, because every ingredient in here is is packed with benefits for your body.
The spiralized zucchini noodles are super low calorie, super high nutrient, with tons of fibre and water.
These ratios, my friends, are the perfect ratios for getting that bod bikini ready.
Count nutrients, not calories……. Eat whole foods, not processed.
And you’ll be energized and laughin!
I kept it simple for you; no need to turn the stove on.
All of the veggies can be roasted together without oil while you make the sauce and spiralize your noodles. That’s it that’s all.
This is a great recipe to double, so you’ll have leftovers for your lunches, dinners, made into wraps, fed to your neighbour, you name it.
~ Zucchini is great for weight loss. It’s high fibre and high water content, along with the dose of nutrients and vitamins help you feel full and satisfied, despite the low calorie count. It’s also disease fighting with it’s Vitamin C and beta-carotene content.
~ Basil is packed with disease-fighting antioxidants. It also contains essential oils that help lower inflammation (the cause of most diseases). The phytochemicals are cancer-fighting. Plus, basil acts as an adaptogen, which means it combats stress and helps your body come back to balance (homeostasis).
~ Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that has sulfur-containing elements. These are known for their cancer fighting properties! It also aids in weight loss, balances blood pressure, boosts brain power, and is great for your hair and bones.
Spring Clean Pesto Zoodles
Serves: 2 + left over cashew pesto
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1 large yam
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 white mushrooms
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours in 2 cups water, then strained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chives, minced
- 2 tbsp red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup basil (loosely packed)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 large zucchini (you could also use yam, butternut squash, daikon, kelp noodles, or your favourite pasta noodles!)
- Pre-heat oven to 390F
- Roast veggies: spread yams on one sheet, and broccoli, onions and mushrooms on another. Sprinkle on some balsamic vinegar and garlic powder. Give it a mix, and put it in the oven.
- For yams: roast 30 minutes, flipping half-way
- For others: roast 20 minutes, flipping half-way
- Make cashew pesto: add all ingredients to blender, blend until smooth
- Spiralize your zucchini (favourite part)
- Assemble your dish and enjoy!