Ringin’ in the New Year with some festive sweet treats that you can feel great about treatin’ on. This recipe is a nice way to ease into the healthy resolutions you might have after indulging in all of the Holiday goodness.
You see, these treats are a trick.
They look indulgent. They taste indulgent. They aren’t indulgent. But don’t tell your taste buds that.
The base of these are made from whole foods! Of course, topping them off with things like sprinkles or chocolate chips will take them to the level of indulgence that you may have been experiencing over the holidays. You don’t have to go that far though. You could even stop at the date caramel layer and call it a super delicious day!
Layer 1: The powerhouse of nutrition that you know well, the apple.
Layer 2: Caramel made from the delicious date. Nothing more (except vanilla and a bit of sea salt, that is). A whole food sweetener at it’s finest, still packed with all the fibre a fruit should have, plus minerals and vitamins from that glorious date.
Layer 3: Your choice. Loved the popcorn layer. You could throw in some coconut ribbons, raisins, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, pecans…. or go for gold and roll it in some vegan chocolate chips.
See? Healthy! But, totally indulgent looking and delicious tasting.
The kids will love it, and so will your ‘new year, new you’ YOU.
- 15 dates, pitted and soaked 10 minutes in warm water, then strained
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- about a ¼ or a bit more of coconut milk (add a bit at a time, just enough for the caramel consistency)
- 3 apples
- Blend dates, vanilla, salt and water in a mini food processor or small blender until a smooth paste forms.
- Stick a wooden skewer into the bottom of a couple apples (I like honey crisp!).
- With a spatula, spread the date caramel evenly over each whole apple.
- Roll it in your choice of toppings! I used Nooch Pop sweet + savoury popcorn + coconut ribbons for one, and vegan chocolate chips for the other).
- Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes to let firm up slightly (it will still be gooey delicious).
Tag me if you make this! (@hookedonplants on instagram)
I love seeing your recipes.
… and if you want more plants in your life:
Sign up for the Mostly Plants 28 day Program to kick start 2019! It’s just $5 until Jan. 6th.
All the info is here!