- 1 cup white sugar (can sub ½ coconut sugar. Batter will be extra dense and a bit fudge-y)
- ½ cup brown or coconut sugar
- 1¾ cup flour can use 50/50 white/whole wheat
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 flax eggs (1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp water or aquafaba per 'egg')
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup tahini
- ¾ cup plant based milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 tsp vanila
- 1 cup boiling hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix flax eggs and set aside to gel while you prepare the other ingredients
- Add lemon juice or vinegar to your plant-based milk. Set aside for 10 mins to sour. This will improve the flavour of the brownies (like vegan buttermilk!)
- Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl so they are evenly distributed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry (don't forget the flax eggs), EXCEPT for the coffee, save that til last. Hand mix gently with a spoon until well combined, but don't over-mix.
- Pour in the coffee and mix gently. Batter will be wet. Don't worry!
- Grease a 9X13 in baking pan or line it with baking paper.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350F for 30 mins, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Enjoy warm! With vegan ice cream. Life is delicious.
Tag @hookedonplants and @drpamela_rd if you make this! We love seeing your creations.
For more inspiration and info on eating plant-based, sign up to my emails for bi-weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants!