Canadian Thanksgiving is juuuuust around the corner, and since there is no Thanksgiving without these basic vegan mashed potatoes, you better go grab some real nice spuds and mash em’ up!
Take these taters to the next level with easy coconut bacon bitties (recipe also below), or douse it in this mushroom gravy (see ya later turkey fat).
In the midst of the season of gratitude… here are a few things I’m thankful for right now:
- You guys. I love seeing you rock these recipes and connect with me on instagram
- The Game Changers Movie being out, inspiring so many people to eat plants and kill it as an athlete
- People like Greta, Billie, DJ Tiger Lily, James Wilks and Ellen getting the vegan word out
- Mic the Vegan & Plant Proof for de-bunking myths and questionable studies out there
- This list could go on… but I’ll stop there and squeeze in my dog, of course.
What are you grateful for?
Hopefully for this recipe…and for the ones that go with it like Stuffed Tofu Turkey, Maple Dijon Pecan Hasselback Butternut Squash, Mashed Potato Butternut Swirl, Spinach Artichoke White Bean Dip, or Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Curry Sauce…
Basic Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Bacon BitsCourse: dinnerDifficulty: Easy
4 medium Yukon potatoes, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 tsp salt
3/4-1 cup unsweetened plant milk
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp chives, minced
- Boil potatoes: add potatoes to a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil then turn down to medium for about 15 minutes, or until soft. Strain.
- Meanwhile, steam cauliflower and cashews for 10 minutes, until cauliflower is fork tender
- Add cauliflower, cashews, milk, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast to your blender and whiz it up until smooth (start with 3/4 cup milk, and add more if you need to for easy breezy blending…you may need the help of a tamper)
- Now, pour out 1/2 of the cauliflower sauce into a big bowl, and add in the potatoes. Blend with help from your tamper.
- Pour all the blender potatoes into the big bowl with the cauliflower sauce and mix until evenly combined.
- Top with pepper and chives (and maybe some mushroom gravy!)