Some red & white action in a creamy vegan red sauce form for a little Canada Day celebration!
This time the creaminess comes from something special:
ACTUAL CREAM, but vegan.
And lemme tell ya, it does the job.
Just use it like you would use dairy cream, and it cream-ifies anything.
Usually, I make cream from cashews (or sunflower seeds) like this recipe (just add a little more liquid). Or even white beans made into a cream sauce.
But, this cream makes it ridiculously easy, and extra creamy.
(Did you know oats use seven times less water than dairy?)
Better for the environment, better for the cows, better for you, PLUS it does the job. Win win win, WIN.
It’s BBQ season too, so fire up that barby and throw some plants on it, create a creamy sauce with ease, and you’re off to the delicious pasta races.
🥛 10 Reasons to ditch dairy and embrace dairy alternatives instead:
➖baby calves belong with their emotional mama cows⠀
➖ 65-100% of people are lactose intolerant⠀
➖ mama cows don’t deserve to be forcibly impregnated over and over
➖ your gut microbiome will thank you⠀
➖ we humans don’t need to ingest something that is meant for a baby calf to grow to a TON cow⠀
➖ look up casomorphins (in dairy) and cancer promoting IGF-1 growth factor… ⠀
➖ dairy uses 7x more water than oat milk⠀
➖ the countries with the highest dairy consumption also happen to have the highest rates of osteoporosis (so, no.. milk is not good for your bones)⠀
➖ there are tons of other ways to get calcium and protein … from plants ⠀
➖ and, it’s 2020 … the vegan milk, ice cream, butter, cheese and cream (like the one in this recipe) and RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS⠀
- 2 yellow or sweet onions, sliced
- ¼-1/2 cup Earth's Own Cooking Cream
- Tomato pasta sauce (used roasted garlic from Neal Brother's)
- 400-500g whole grain pasta of choice
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 9 mushrooms (cremini/white), chopped
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 vegan sausages of choice (we used Field Roast Italian)
- Turn BBQ to 400F (or oven)
- Caramelize onions. Do do this without oil, just heat pan to medium, add sliced onions and let the pan brown. Add ⅛ cup of water to de-glaze the pan. Turn the heat down to simmer, and put the lid on. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, a bowl, mix together the veggies with balsamic. Add the veggies to a BBQ roasting dish (OR, bake them in the oven). BBQ for 30 minutes, mixing around halfway.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to directions.
- Add the sausages to the BBQ and grill according to the directions (about 4 minutes a side).
- Add cream and tomato sauce to the caramelized onions, and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Strain pasta, then pour it back into the pasta pot.
- Chop the sausages, and add them, the BBQ'd veggies and creamy red sauce to the pot. Stir until it's all slathered and delicious looking.
- Serve it up with some salad and a sprinkle of vegan parm!
If you make this, tag me on insta: @hookedonplants !
If you need help going plant-based without any judgement + with full support…check out 80/20 Plants, our app with 1:1 coaching ( Plants First Nutrition, Clare Minded, Esther, Matt and I), video lessons, meal planning and recipes.