A comfort food fave, with a twist. This green vegan lasagna is so yum, and perfect for these fall feels.
Make a big batch, or a few dishes worth to freeze for a dinner freak out kinda day! That’s my jam. I don’t like spending hours in the kitchen prepping one day for the full week… instead, I make the most of when I actually am in the kitchen. If I’m chopping an onion, I chop 3, and put them in the fridge for a different recipe… If I’m making lasagna, I make A LOT of it so leftovers can flow like an awesome mountain bike trail that just keeps on giving.
Are you the same? Well, here’s a recipe to go bulk on.
Plus, you’ll make 2 sauces for this recipe that can be used for what ever else you want to use them for (hint hint, double them up)! I’m thinking green sauce for a dip, and cashew cheese sauce for pasta or your next sandwich making party.
Other sweet addition tips? If you want it to be even cheesier than what the cashew cheese will provide…. Top it off with a vegan cheese like Gusta (shredded up), Black Sheep Vegan Cheeze ‘vouda’ or ‘vozzerella’, Daiya Mozz, Miyokos Mozz… Drool. You can find these online at vegansupply.ca or veganessentials.com or spud.ca (use code CRVAN-MURJUB for 20$ off your first Spud order).
The Green Vegan LasagnaCourse: Dinner
1 box lasagna noodles (Gluten-Free if needed)
1 sweet or yellow onion, diced
2 cups chopped wild mushrooms (used chanterelles, oyster mushrooms and portobello)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 jar tomato pasta sauce (24 ounces)
- Green Sauce
2 cans white beans (strained)
1 cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp onion powder
3 cups spinach
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp balsamic reduction or maple syrup
1 to 2 cups Pre-cooked green or brown lentils
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
1 1/2 cups soaked (and strained) cashews (soak cashews overnight or a quick soak in hot water for 10 minutes)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup unsweetened + unflavoured plant milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and garlic with a bit of water if it’s sticking.
- Cook noodles according to directions (some lasagna noodles don’t need to be pre-boiled). Bring a pot of water to a boil, add noodles and salt, let cook for the time told, strain and run cold water over them.
- Make the Green Sauce: Add all the green sauce ingredients except for the lentils to your blender and whiz it up until smoooooooth. (you can use this sauce as a dip, pasta sauce or a spread for your wraps)… Then stir in the lentils.
- Make the Cheese Sauce: Add all cheese sauce ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth (this sauce too makes a great dip, sandwich sauce, or pasta sauce!)
- Layer it up! Start with tomato sauce on the bottom of your baking dish (around 13 x 9-inches), then a layer of noodles, then green sauce, cheese sauce, onion + wild mushroom saute, tomato sauce, and repeat. Finish it off with noodles, then cheese sauce on top!
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes
- Let sit for 10, and serve with fresh basil
- Prep time doesn’t include cooking the lentils (about 40 minutes) or soaking the cashews (overnight or for 10 minutes in hot water).
- Keep in the fridge for a week, or freeze for a few months
If you make this, make sure you tag @hookedonplants on instagram!
Need a guide towards a plant-based lifestyle? Try the 80/20 Plants Program
Check out my e-book (your new vegan handbook) AKA …all you need for a #PlantsForAWeek mini challenge.
For more inspiration and info on eating plant-based, sign up to my emails for bi-weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants!