Well, it’s official. The world is in freak out mode.
There’s no doubt we’re living in a time that will go down in the history books.
My heart goes out to those affected by the COVID-19, and immense appreciation for the doctors and nurses, as well as cashiers on the front line.
It’s important to remember to do things that make you feel good during this time of social distancing. Is there a passion project you’ve always wanted to start? Now is an awesome time! But, also don’t feel pressure to be productive during this time. There’s fear and anxiety all around, so some of the best actions are reconnecting with nature, resting your mind, moving your body, amping up your immunity and treating this like a forced staycation. What are you doing with your time? Let me know on the ‘gram @hookedonplants.
Here’s an immunity-boosting smoothie recipe that will help your body to combat any thing coming it’s way.
I’ve been especially been loving Spud right now for grocery delivery, to avoid the awkward supermarket isles, and to avoid unnecessary close contact. If you’ve never ordered from them before, you can use ‘CRVAN-MURJUB’ for 20$ off your first order at Spud.Ca
What’s so great about the ingredients?
DUH, right?! They’re packed with phytonutrients, plant fibre, chlorophyll and micronutrients.
Turmeric with a dash of pepper:
Anti-inflammatory king! Adding a tiny amount of pepper will increase the absorption of curcumin (the active ingredient) by 2000%!
Immune system stimulator that can help kill foreign invaders.
Antioxidants + phytonutrients. The more berries in your life the better.
I’m using Stay Wyld Organics, a company I believe in and am helping co-create.
All of these mushroom powders are beneficial for your gut health by acting as a prebiotic. Healthy diverse microbiome = strong immunity. Your gut wall houses 60-70% of the cells that make up your immune system.
These mushrooms are all packed with antioxidants to ward off free radicals and minimize inflammation.
They act as adaptogens in your body, by helping combat stressors and bringing it back to homeostasis (balance).
They’re North American sourced, organic, vegan, and steam extracted for optimal bio-absorption.
- Chaga: The King of Mushrooms! Chaga has the antioxidant ORAC score out of any natural food, and has been shown to selectively kill cancer cells, while leaving the healthy cells untouched. Chaga is also the richest source of (ready for this?) superoxide dismutase… aka ‘SOD’, which is known to protect cells and repel viruses! Great timing to get a daily dose of this mighty mushroom.
- Turkey Tail: Powerful immune-defense! In Japan, turkey tail has been used to strengthen the immune system for over 30 years, especially when given with standard chemotherapy. Turkey tail mycelium (Stay Wyld uses the mushroom fruiting body and mycelium in the powders) excretes strong antiviral compounds.
- Reishi: This ‘chill out’ mushroom has incredible anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also been shown to have the ability to stimulate macrophages (a type of white blood cell), an important part in combatting viruses and any kind of sickness.
- We also have Lion’s Mane and Cordyceps. All come in capsule or powder form! Use ‘Julia10’ for a discount.
Whole food protein powder:
When it comes to protein powder, it’s important to avoid any ‘fluff’ ingredients…extra sugars, natural flavours, words you can’t pronounce. Sticking with simple whole food ingredients is the way to go. That’s what I love about Complement Protein. 6 high protein plant ingredients ground up, with the lowest heavy metal count in the industry. Getting all essential amino acids in your diet is super beneficial for your immune system.
Feel free to use ‘hookedonplants’ on www.lovecomplement.com for a discount!
Vitamin C (amla fruit) powder:
Back to the basics! You can take a large daily dose vitamin C, but you have to make sure that your vitamin C source doesn’t have extra (not so great) ingredients like sugars or natural flavours. I’m in love with Pranin’s whole food powders, especially their vitamin C made from 2 ingredients: Amla Fruit and Moringa Leaf. A serving of two whole food powders give you the same vitamin C as 20 organic lemons!
You can use my discount code ‘hooked’ for this Vancouver company’s whole food powders here: Pranin.com.
I personally use all 3 of these products daily, especially right now, and only like to promote things that I’m actively using and loving, in hopes that it will help you guys out too. To be transparent, I do get a small kick back if you use my code for any of these, which helps support the work I do to spread veganism and nutrition tips, but don’t feel like you have to use my codes! Up to you… but you will get a discount too 🙂
I wouldn’t promote anything to this amazing community that I wouldn’t be urging my Mom to get on board with at the same time.
OK, on with the recipe!
Greens, fill your blender with spinach, kale, or romaine
1 inch thumb of ginger
1 inch thumb of turmeric
Dash of pepper
2-3 frozen bananas
1-2 cups of berries
1 tsp Pranin vitamin C powder
1/4 cup Complement plant protein powder
1 tsp each of Stay Wyld Medicinal Mushrooms (Reishi, Turkey Tail and Chaga especially shine when it comes to immune system support)
- Add all ingredients to your blender, and BLEND
- Sip away in the morning and afternoon.
If you make this tag @hookedonplants + @staywyldorganics so we can see your health in a cup!