Let’s nog about it. Vegan nog, that is.
There’s something special about sippin’ on a spicy, decadent nog from your favourite mug as you’re hanging that tinsel on your Charlie Brown Christmas tree. If you weren’t in the Christmas spirit yet, then this will fix you up.
These spices… the creaminess… even the smell…this recipe has all of those experiences of egg-nog tradition, but maximized because this is actually good for you nog.
I have to say, I didn’t think I could create a vegan nog that tasted like the old days. But, the first sip told me otherwise. This bevy will make you sink into your comfort zone with the nostalgic spices and creaminess you’ve always had. Now, it’s without the dairy (check out this post to see why that’s a good thing) and refined sugar.
No need for the dairy. It’s amazing what this mix of whole food ingredients can create!
A Christmas party in your mouth is what this bevy creates. Your welcome.
I’ll never have a half cup of nog again. Now it’s filled to the brim, I’m going for re-fills, and I feel like I’m doing myself a favour. Triple win!
- Bananas are a good carbohydrate for your body to easily digest. They’re nutrient dense and packed with fibre! Don’t be afraid of the ‘nana.
- Dates are packed with minerals and fibre. They’re a whole food, and known as nature’s candy. They digest slowly and are great for good energy and smooth digestion. I don’t go on a long bike ride without a bag of dates stashed in some pocket!
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk (strained if homemade) or this homemade hemp milk
- 2 medium-sized frozen ripe bananas (works with non frozen ripe bananas, but tastes better frozen)
- 4 medium pitted medjool dates, soaked for 5 minutes in warm water
- ½ teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Throw all ingredients into your blender (high speed is best)
- Start on low, then increase it to high. Blend for 30 seconds or longer if you want it warmer and creamier.
- Sip and ahhhhhhh.