When your tastebuds are demanding you to chomp down on something savoury, eggy & satiating, PRONTO…here’s the cure-all. This super simple tofu scramble with all the fixin’s is a 10 on the brunch-o-meter.
After a busy first week of September action, Saturday is the day to take a moment in the kitchen to whip up this yumminess.
These breakfast taters satisfyingly pop in the mouth.
Adding the hummus to the scramble helps soak up those spices to create a flavourful smorgasbord.
I used to love cheese eggs before I became vegan. You know that melted cheese all over a scramble? It was our go-to on camping trips. If you like the cheese + egg combo, spruce this recipe up a bit by melting some vegan cheese over the scramble in the pan for the last few minutes with the lid on (drooling just thinking about it).
Vegan food is not a compromise.
Let’s get into it!
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp Hawaiin black salt (for sulfur/egg taste!)
- ¼-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 block of organic medium or soft tofu (about 350g)
- ½ cup hummus of choice or this Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 4-5 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean then diced (into small ¼ inch cubes)
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced avocado
- Hot sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F
- Coat the potatoes with avo oil, onion and garlic powder. Then lay them out on a parchment-covered (or silicone sheet-covered) pan, making sure they're barely touching each other (you may need 2 pans).
- Bake potatoes for 20-30 minutes, flipping half way. They should be golden on all sides.
- Oil-free sauté your onions: Bring pan to medium heat, throw onions on and let heat until they brown. Then add a bit of water to de-caramelize the pan. Do this until they are translucent (about 5 minutes, adding water if they stick).
- Add mushrooms, pepper and garlic. Let sauté a couple of minutes.
- Add the spices and a bit more water (about ¼ cup)
- Crumble the tofu with your hands (trying to get the tiniest crumbs possible) into the pan.
- Add the hummus.
- Mix it all together and let sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Serve it up with the potatoes, avocado, fresh tomato, and Sriracha hot sauce!
Sign up to my emails for weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants!
This week’s email was all about eating this, not that for weight loss on a vegan diet.