Gaze away at this swirly masterpiece…OK, now go make yourself one. This mermaid bowl is ready in no time and provides all the dreamy, guilt-free spoonfuls your taste buds desire.
Just in time for the LONGEST day of the year. Bring on that sunshine and those mermaid bowls, who’s with me?
The base? bananas.
The colour? phycocyanin.
The topping? fermented kombucha bar chunks (from Vegan Rob’s).
The result? The bowl of my dreams.
In just a few minutes you’ll have an antioxidant packed mermaid bowl filled to the brim with live phytonutrients and fermented goodness! Ahh.
I brew my own ‘boosh‘ at home, but I never had heard of kombucha being in the form of something you chew on – like a granola bar. Well, it’s possible! Vegan Rob‘s just came out with their Kombuchabar (what?!)… So I topped off this mesmerizing soft-serve with chunks of it for some nice texture and added probiotics for digestive and gut health.
The beautiful blue-ness comes from the crazy sounding and intense looking active ingredient in spirulina (phycocyanin). I found a small package of it here. More on the benefits of it below…. I personally love it just for the crazy mermaid colour it gives to anything, because who ever made up that whole.. ‘don’t play with your food’ thing anyway?
- Phycocyanin is a super potent antioxidant powerhouse. It’s the active blue pigment protein complex of the blue-green algae, spirulina. Phycocyanin is used for photosynthesis in the algae, as it directly absorbs sunlight. In humans, when ingested, it’s complex structure resembles the powerful antioxidant ‘bilirubin’ and it has the same intense affects on our body as bilirubin. It’s an immune enhancer, disease preventer, and anti-inflammatory, this stuff is magic.
- Kombucha Bar that I’m using to top off this magical mermaid bowl is the first bar I’ve found that has the probiotic benefits of kombucha…but in the form of solid food! Crazy talk. The fermented kombucha in these bars help the gut microflora thrive. Fermented food are a must, because 90% of the cells in our bodies are bacteria cells and just 10% are human. Most of our bacteria live in our micro-biome/gut, so we have to make sure we’re feeding our gut the right things to help the cells flourish…and fermented foods is where it’s at.
- Bananas are a staple around our place. I get a case of smoothie-ready bananas every week from Spud. I freeze half of them for bowls like this, and the everyday green smoothie I whip up. They’re packed with potassium to help balance your blood pressure, and iron to combat anemia.
- 5 frozen bananas, halved
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1-2 tsp phycocyanin powder
- ½ cup plant-based milk (almond, coconut, cashew, hemp)
- 1 kombucha bar, chopped (found at Vegan Robs)
- In food processor, blend all ingredients except the kombucha bar until smooth. Add a bit more milk if you want a softer texture.
- Spoon it into a couple of your favourite bowls and top it off with kombucha bar chunks.
Sign up to my emails for weekly inspiration, recipes, plus a free PDF on How to Get Hooked On Plants.
Last week was all about acting with love instead of fear throughout your life, biz, relationships and to yourself.