Ahhhhh berry season.
You complete me.
I won’t need to buy jam ever again. This recipe is so easy, it would be ridiculous not to make it.
If you have berries, chia seeds and dates in your kitchen right now, you could have jam in literally 10 minutes.
In Whistler, one of the best parts of the week is visiting the berry babes at the Farmer’s Market to load up on Berry Mobile‘s ripe, mega-juicy, fresh, local berries of all kinds. Going berry crazy and ending up with boxes of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries means … recipe time.
The first thing that popped into my head was JAM.
So today… we be berry jammin’.
This jam starts with date paste (easiest thing ever, and can be devoured on it’s own or for dipping your apple slices in), and ends with chia and berries.
Yes. It’s THAT SIMPLE.
No preservatives or refined sugars in this berry jammin’.
- Chia seeds provide a protein punch and fibre to satiate you. While these chia seeds sit in the jam, they will absorb the moisture and begin the sprouting process, making it easier for your body to absorb all of the nutrients they carry!
- Berries of all kinds are PACKED with antioxidants. These antioxidants will prevent oxidative stress, and there for help prevent cancer, keep your mind sharp and slow your aging process!
- Dates are nature’s way of loving us. They’re delish. But also noutrish. They are packed with minerals, vitamins and fibre. If you need more iron, magnesium, and zinc, dip your apples in this date paste!
On a life note… It’s pretty dang smokey here in BC. My thoughts go out to those who have had to leave their homes from all the wildfires!
Whistler is getting smokey again, too. Here’s a shot from last night’s little adventure. Stand Up Paddling down the river in a smokey sunset. This is a mellow part, but we love hitting the rapids on our Kahuna paddle boards! It definitely keeps things interesting:)
OK, onto the recipe.
Easy Chia Berry Jam
Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 1 full medium mason jar
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (about 10), soaked 5 minutes then strained
- 1/2 cup water (or coconut water)
- 2 cups of berries (raspberries and strawberries for a runnier jam, blackberries or blueberries for a thicker jam)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Make caramelly Date Paste: blend dates and water together until smooth paste forms
- Add berries and chia seeds to blender, blend until smooth
- Pour into a jar, cover and place in fridge to set for 20 minutes.
- Keeps in fridge for about 2 weeks. Or freeze until you need it!
If you make it, tag me so I can see! #hookedonplants @hookedonplants