Plant-based comfort food to the max. Vegan Lasagna. Or is it lasagne? We’ll stick with the first one.
Lasagna. This word usually means the cheesiest, most tomato-y pasta bake you’ll ever have.
Well, this lasagna still brings that, without the cheese.
Your taste buds and comfort-feels will be completely satisfied while the tofu ricotta and roasted garlic hummus come together to create the most decadent party-in-your-mouth lasagna experience ever.
This vegan lasagna is a good dish to serve up after the holiday indulgence. Your palate is probably still craving that comforting meal, but your brain and bod are begging for that lighter, get-back-to-the-greens kind of meal. Ya know what I mean?
Not to mention there’s just something special about diving your fork into the layered masterpiece we know and love as lasagna.
All that’s in between you and this yumminess is…
Easy it up by using store-bought hummus and tomato pasta sauce.
Or, go for it and make your own roasted garlic hummus from this recipe (double it so you have extra, because what’s a fridge without a tub of hummus anyway…)!
–Brown rice pasta is the pasta for you if you’re sensitive to gluten at all. Pasta isn’t something to be afraid of! YES, avoid white pasta (which is completely stripped of it’s nutrients, vitamins, and fibre), but the other options like quinoa pasta, sprouted whole grain pasta, spelt pasta etc… are all great options!
–Miso Paste is fermented soy that gives the dish a salty, umami taste. It also is packed with beneficial probiotics to help combat digestive issues by balancing out your gut micro flora. Plus it takes this vegan lasagna to the next level.
–Spinach (lots of it) is pop eye’s fave. I mean common’ what’s not to love. It’s packed with plant protein, chlorophyll, and when it’s cooked you’ll absorb higher levels of vitamins A and E, protein, fibre, zinc, thiamin, calcium, and iron!
- 1 package brown rice lasagna pasta
- 2 cups (one large jar) tomato basil marinara sauce
- 6 large cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 cups packed spinach, chopped
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 package firm tofu, pressed 15 minutes (or put in 110°F dehydrator for 1 hour)
- ¾ cup roasted garlic hummus (store bought, or make this recipe)
- 7 large leaves of basil, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- Make the hummus (or used store-bought).
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. While you're at it, press your tofu if you haven't already (I use a plate, then wrap the tofu in a tea towel, then stack books or a heavy bread board on top for 10 minutes at least)
- Heat a pan to medium. Add the onions and mushrooms until the pan browns, then de-caramelize the pan with a bit of water. Add the garlic, vegetable bouillon, and zucchini. Let sauté a few minutes (add a splash of water if it's sticking). Add the peas and spinach. Let sauté a few more minutes until the spinach is cooked down.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook the pasta noodles 2 minutes less than recommended on the package (this helps them stay in tact for layering). Rinse immediately with cold water to prevent them from sticking.
- Meanwhile, make the tofu ricotta! Crumble the pressed tofu into a bowl with all the other tofu ricotta ingredients. Mix well to combine. Steal a taste. It's delicious.
- In a 12 x 8 inch baking dish, assemble the lasagna: First a thin layer of tomato sauce, Second a layer of ⅓ of the noodles, Third, a layer of ½ the ricotta, Fourth a layer of ½ the sautéed veggies, and again, tomato sauce, ⅓ of the noodles, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the veggies. Finish it off with the last of the noodles, rest of the tomato sauce, and a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Take tinfoil off and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove and serve. Will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Sign up here for your free PDF “7 Steps to Add More Plants to Your Life” (+ exclusive resources & tips)!