Finally! A vegan chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe that my guy approves of.
These are crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, healthy, and simple enough to make every week!
So much YES!
The cookie jar must always, always be full, after all.
I tried replacing the coconut oil with banana, but it didn’t have the crispy-ness we were looking for. So, coconut oil and almond butter make up the majority of the liquid part of this cookie, with oats being the star of the dry ingredients.
There is something SO special about baking cookies.
Maybe it’s the nostalgia. Maybe it’s the smell. Maybe it’s the fact that you can eat the cookie dough as you go (one of the many perks of veganizing everything)!
What ever it is… I like it. ‘I like it a-lot’ (insert Arnold accent here).
And I think Davey likes it even more, especially when this recipe gets pumped out of the kitchen.
I had him blind taste-test the options: banana vs. coconut oil… 10 minutes vs. 12 minutes…well, he lived up to his taste-tester role in the kitchen and concluded that the best version of this cookie recipe features good ol’ coconut oil and a couple more minutes in the oven.
I have to mention… These go real well with this homemade Hemp Milk recipe (no straining needed, and literally the easiest plant-based milk you can make at home). Because let’s face it, what’s a cookie without the dunking?
- Almond butter is a good place to go for your Vitamin E needs. Why do we need Vitmain E? It’s key for healthy skin, eyes, and a strong immune system. It’s also a strong antioxidant, to help ward off disease!
- Chia is one of the best ways to get your omega 3s, it gives you all essential amino acids, plus it’s packed to the nines with vitamin K (which helps calcium travel throughout the body, making it great for bone density and essential for healing from injuries).
- Oats have a complete amino acid profile, containing all essential amino acids. They’re also packed with manganese, which you need for fat and carbohydrate metabolism and brain & nervous function. Not to mention they’re packed with fibre, yet low in fat, making them a good option for knockin’ off the pounds.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1.5 cup oats
- ⅛ cup cane sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds, 3 tbsp water, mix together and let sit 3 minutes)
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup, flax egg and vanilla together until creamy.
- Add oat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Shape small balls of dough into a ball, flatten with your hand onto the parchment covered pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Let sit on cookie sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Keep in a high, hard to reach cookie jar in your cupboard.
Sign up here for your free PDF: “7 Steps to Add More Plants to Your Life” + exclusive weekly resources & tips!