Creamy and decadent with out the whole cream, butter or egg yolks.
YES. It’s possible. You’ll see.
American friends! If you want to impress your Thanksgiving guests (or yourself) with a lighter, healthier, vegan alternative to something usually seen as a sinful, ‘I’ll just have one bite’ type of dessert, this will do the trick.
Don’t even tell them it’s vegan. See what happens.
The sneaky chipotle really gives this pie a unique kick of flavour.
This one is inspired by Rouxbe Culinary School. I’m more than half way through my plant-based cooking course and am loving the kitchen creations of 100% vegan recipes and experiments they have me doing. But, what I’m loving even more is that I get to share the delicious-ness with all of you!
–Tofu is a health food, when you buy organic, non-GMO! There is a myth about soy products leading to ‘man boobs’ or breast cancer by raising estrogen levels. This just isn’t the case. In comparison to dairy and animal products, soy is a major upgrade. It’s easily digestible plant-based protein. For more about the myths check out this article. And for more research check out Dr. Gregor here.
–Chocolate in it’s dark form without dairy isn’t so bad! It releases endorphins, and has antioxidants to ward off cancer and disease.
–Pecans contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals, including magnesium for all those anti-inflammatory benefits.
Time 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 cups vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 packages organic silken tofu (260g packages), or soft block tofu (300g packages)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- Organic raspberries
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Make crust: Pulse the sugar and pecans in food processor until a meal forms. Then add rest of crust ingredients and pulse to combine.
- Spread crust layer out on bottom and up the sides of pie plate (about 8″ diameter).
- Make filling: Melt chocolate by using a double boiler. While it’s melting, add tofu, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt to food processor and blend until smooth. Add melted chocolate, blend until combined.
- Pour filling over pie crust.
- Chill in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Serve with raspberries and a sprinkle of cacao powder.