I know, I know what you’re thinking… Fruit in a taco???
YES and, you gotta try it.
Vegan Jackfruit Tacos… it must be 2017.
Jackfruit falls nothing short of magical when it comes to a whole, unprocessed, vegan meat substitute.
It’s going to absorb all of the flavours you douse it with. Plus it easily and tenderly pulls apart with a fork, and the texture is perfecto.
It’s lighter on your belly, easier to digest, packed with nutrients, and spares the little piggies.
These Jackfruit tacos go (insert Mexican accent here) muchos buenos with guacamole, salsa, vegan Cashew Sour Cream, and a side of margarita!
Plus, they’re carnivore-approved. SO, next time you need to impress your friends with a comfort food, meaty kind of soirée, resort to this recipe and you won’t disappoint.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit, AKA the ‘Jack of all fruits’, is grown in Southeast Asia, Hawaii, Brazil, and Africa. If you buy the whole fruit in the tropics, it’s super sticky when you cut it open, so you have to use coconut oil on your knife (believe me, I’ve tried). Otherwise, buy it dried (to eat as is, and it tastes like bubblegum), or if you want to cook with it, you can buy it in a brine like this can from Cha’s Organics, or baggy that’s pre-marinated and ready to heat and eat. It has zero cholesterol or saturated fats. It’s packed with vitamins like vitamin C (immunity), vitamin A (healthy hair) and minerals like magnesium, zinc, iron and niacin. It’s also packed with antioxidants to fight free radicals and phytonutrients for optimal health. Plus, it has the texture of pulled pork, and takes on any flavours you give it. Miracle fruit or what?!
- 2 cans of jackfruit (I used Cha's Organics jackfruit)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup tamari
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- small pinch ginger powder
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 package organic corn tortillas (or iceberg or romaine lettuce boats)
- avocado, mashed
- 2-3 tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, minced
- fresh cilantro
- cashew sour cream
- sriracha (optional spicyness)
- Rinse the jackfruit. Strain and set aside.
- In a your pot, bring the vegetable stock to a boil.
- Add the jackfruit to the pot, then simmer for about 20 minutes, or until most of the stock is absorbed.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- During the simmering time, add all of the BBQ sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Scoop jackfruit out of the pot and into a bowl. Crush the pieces with a potato masher to get the “pulled pork” texture.
- Mix the BBQ sauce in with the jackfruit.
- Spread the sauced-jackfruit on a parchment paper-lined (or on a reusable baking sheet) baking pan and bake for 15 minutes turning over once at the half way mark.
- In the meantime, prepare your taco toppings!
- Assemble your tacos and enjoy.
Don’t forget to Sign Up to my weekly emails for a free, downloadable PDF on how to ‘Get Hooked’ on plants.
Plus exclusive nutrition & lifestyle tips and resources!